Diet Plan For Breastfeeding Mothers To Lose Weight
Starting a Diet After Birth
It is widely believed that breastfeeding leads to the loss of weight. This can be partially true as you burn a lot of calories while breastfeeding the baby. But at the same time, the calorie requirement during this stage is very high because of which you consume a calorie-rich diet. This can result in excess weight gain post-pregnancy.
Following a healthy eating habit without compromising on calories is very important during this stage. This ensures that you get enough calories to feed the baby and, at the same time, do not put on excess weight.
What Is The Best Diet Plan To Lose Weight While Breastfeeding?
You should consume 300-500 extra calories per day when you are breastfeeding. This way, you provide enough nutrients to your body and help nourish the baby.
Having a balanced diet is the best way to lose weight while you are breastfeeding. Below is a sample diet plan that helps you to get enough calories while losing weight.
The ideal breakfast should consist of:
- One ounce each of beans and grains that provide enough protein. You can have beans and cheese burrito and ½ whole-grain English muffin.
- One cup dairy in the form of milk that provides enough calcium
- ½ cup fruit of your choice that provides the necessary vitamins.
Snacks should consist of:
- One ounce of grain for protein. You can have five whole-grain crackers or 3 cups of light popcorn.
- One cup dairy for calcium. This can include one-ounce string cheese or one cup of low-fat yogurt.
- ½ cup vegetables that provide enough vitamins and minerals. Examples could be carrot sticks or cucumber slices.
Lunch should include:
- 2 ounces of meat or beans
- 2 ounces of grains
- One cup of vegetables which can include raw vegetables, lettuce and spinach.
- ½ cup fruits of your choice.
Snacks can include:
- ½ cup fruits like apple or banana
- 1-ounce meat or beans
Dinner can include:
- 3 ounces of meat/beans like salmon, grilled pork, baked beans, green beans.
- 1 ½ cups of vegetables like oven-fried zucchini, cabbage salad.
- 2-ounce grains like corn, rice, wheat roll.
Always try to have different varieties of food so that you get nutrients from all sources.
Besides a healthy diet, you should drink plenty of water while breastfeeding. Drinking water not only keeps you well hydrated but also makes you feel full and thereby prevents overeating. It also helps to eliminate all the toxins from your body.
Breastfeeding calls for additional calories. This does not mean that you should splurge on food. Eating wisely and healthy provides you with all the additional calories without contributing to weight. Also, moderate exercise and adequate sleep help a lot in your weight loss journey.